NHS Complaints Advocacy

NHS Complaints Advocacy

The project provides free, independent support and assistance to people who live in South Gloucestershire and Bristol and want to make a complaint about an NHS Health Service.

What do we do?

We can offer different levels of support from self-advocacy through to trained volunteer advocates and professional advocacy. We support you to look at different options and possible outcomes so you can make informed choices about what action you can take. We work to ensure people can represent their own interests as far as possible and not to offer advice on how we think an individual should act. If you feel we may be able to help or advise you contact us on 0808 808 5252

How do we do it?

We can provide information about the complaints procedure for people who wish to make a complaint by themselves, but just need a little bit more guidance before they start. Self Help Packs are available to help you (in the column to your right) . They provide the necessary guidance and information to enable you to make your own way through the complaints process.

In many cases, we can also provide an advocate who can discuss your particular situation, explain the complaints procedure, and possibly help you to draft a letter or attend a meeting with you.

How to access our services:

You can refer yourself: call us to make an appointment or to speak to an advocate over the phone. You can leave a message on our 24 hour voice mail service and someone will get back to you as soon as they can. Our offices are open Monday to Thursday, 9am – 5pm, Friday 9am – 4.30pm.

Contact us:

Telephone: 0808 808 5252

Fax: 0117 965 0200

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman are the final stage for complaints about the NHS in England and public services delivered by the UK Government. 

You need to complain to the organisation you are unhappy about directly first before bringing your complaint to the ombudsmen so it has a chance to put things right. If you believe there is still a dispute about the complaint after the organisation has closed your complaint then the ombudsmen can investigate their response.

If you would like to complain to the ombudsmen about the NHS in England, you can complain through the website below. If your complaint is about a UK government department or UK public organisation, an MP needs to refer it to the ombudsmen. 


Share |


For signposting to related sites and frequently asked questions please go to our home page