Community Champions is an exciting project which will enable local people to get involved with groups and activities in their area and make new friends with shared interests. The project is about bringing people together, raising awareness of what activities and services are out there, and developing new activities where there are gaps. The aim is to make Fishponds a vibrant area with a real mix of opportunities for people.
This project will run for three years working within the neighbourhoods of Hillfields, Frome Vale and Eastville and we will be inviting residents of Greater Fishponds to volunteer and act as:
- Community Champions – the aim of this role is about being an active citizen in your neighbourhood and community. You will be given full support as needed to work in your community, identifying gaps in services and developing projects and activities, which will support people to make connections with other local people and groups. Some of the activities the Community Champions are doing at the moment include:
- door knocking to get to know neighbours and identify needs;
- setting up regular social sessions in the libraries and other locations;
- inter-generational stay and plays;
- setting up a one off event.
- Considerate Friends – this element of the project is completed in partnership with the Carers Support Centre. Volunteers will be trained and supported to visit local premises, facilities, activities and services. Carrying out a mystery shopping type exercise you will make assessments and recommendations to ensure the venues and services are age appropriate and carer friendly. In phase two of this project we will also be looking at starting a scheme with one or two of the local venues to introduce social initiatives.
- Sign posters – these are members of the community with access to older people such as business owners, church leaders, GP surgeries and those who work in the area who can help promote the project by having posters and leaflets.
- Steering group member – the project will be overseen by a steering group made up of local people who will guide the direction of the project. The meetings will be very informal and the group will meet quarterly or as required to discuss the project and what to do next.
While the target audience for the project is the over 50’s living in Hillfields, Frome Vale and Eastville, and we are aiming for 50% of our volunteers to meet these criteria, recruitment to the roles is not exclusive to these criteria and we would welcome anyone with an interest to get involved.
Descriptions of the current volunteer roles can be viewed by clicking on the links below. As the role of Community Champion is very flexible and can cover many activities, please get in touch to discuss your interests and requirements.
- Steering Group Volunteer Role Description
- Considerate Friends Volunteer Role Description
- Considerate Friends Code of Conduct
- Considerate Friends Application Form
Considerate Friends Reports
Please click here to read reports on the Considerate Friends assessments carried out so far.
The Greater Fishponds Community Champions is part of a much wider Ageing Better initiative across the whole country. As such we need to monitor the progress of our projects and activities and the impact they make on people’s lives and the communities they are working in. Learning logs are just one way we can show the successes and learning from the Community Champions project.
Case studies are a great way of capturing the experiences of people and the impact the project activities are having on them and their lives. The case studies below showcase what the Community Champions are doing and help share the learning we are gathering for the Ageing Better initiative nationwide.
- Hillfields Library Social
- Begbrook Retirement Club
- Intergenerational Work – Able Care and Little Hayes
- Quarry House Intergenerational Stay and Play
- Oldbury Court
If you would like to find out more about the Community Champions project please contact Claire Littlejohn, Greater Fishponds Community Champions Project Worker, by email at email@example.com or by phone on 0117 958 9325. Please note Claire’s working days are Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.