Ця сторінка призначена для надання інформації про схему «Будинки для України». Читайте далі для корисних ресурсів в Південному Глостерширі.

This page is designed to offer information about the ‘Homes for Ukraine’ scheme. Read on for helpful resources in South Gloucestershire.

Щоб перекласти цю сторінку, натисніть «значок помаранчевої людини» у верхньому правому куті, а потім клацніть сіру піктограму у верхньому лівому куті. Потім виберіть вибрану мову.

To translate this page click the ‘orange person icon’ in the top right hand corner then click the grey icon in the top left hand corner. Then select your chosen language.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-2.png

Welcome to the UK

I have a question, where can I find the answer?

The Government guide below is for Ukrainians arriving in the UK . It includes information for the first few days as well as details on how to find a home, access essential public services, healthcare, find work and childcare and education services.

Welcome: A Guide for Ukrainians Arriving in the UK

The Government has also created a ‘frequently asked questions (FAQ) document with lots of questions and answers on how the Homes for Ukraine scheme works such as ”What happens at the end of the six-month sponsorship period?”, ”What sort of room/accommodation is required?” and ”Will the person I am supporting be eligible for benefits and/or to work?”.

Click here to access the document.

Where do I find information on completing a Ukraine Scheme application?

Click on this link for more information.

Use this form to apply to extend your permission to be in the UK if:

  • you have a Ukraine passport
  • you are in the UK
  • you applied under the Ukraine Family Scheme or the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (Homes for Ukraine) before you arrived in the UK
  • your application has not been decided but you received a letter saying you could travel to the UK
  • you were given 6 months permission to enter at the border and are now applying to extend your stay

Help, Support and Information from South Gloucestershire

South Gloucestershire Council

Where can I find more information about South Gloucestershire?

South Gloucestershire Council has created this handy page full of information on help and support such as details on Visa Support and Applying to Remain in addition to more details on the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

If you are considering sponsoring a Ukrainian individual or family to come to the UK please see more details here.

Well Aware is a service run by The Care Forum which offers signposting and information on local health and wellbeing services. See the website here or give them a call (freephone) on 0808 808 5252. Below is a link to download the Well Aware flyer with contact information.

Benefits & Financial Information

Where do I find information on opening a bank account?

Information on opening a bank account with different banks can be found below:


Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)

Are there any other benefits I can apply for?

You may be able to get Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or need help with your living costs. You could be working (including self-employed or part time) or be out of work. You can find out more information here.

To find more information on other benefits available please click here to be directed to the Government site.

Where do I find information on claiming Child Benefit?

Anyone coming to the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme or Homes for Ukraine scheme is entitled to claim Child Benefit immediately using this form, rather than having to wait for the usual 3-month qualifying period.

They should provide an original birth certificate and the passport or travel document used to enter the UK. Where this documentation is not immediately available, people are advised to include a note in their claim and someone from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will be in touch to discuss further.

Anyone wanting more information on Child Benefit can visit GOV.​UK or call 0300 200 3100 (from inside the UK).

More information is available here

Connecting with the Local Community

If you’d like to get involved in connecting with your local community please get in touch with your support worker. This page will be updated with more information when we have it so please check regularly.

Emotional Wellbeing

Where can I find information on emotional wellbeing and mental health?

This helpful mental health resource page on Well Aware has lots of information on local mental health services for adults. Select the ‘South Gloucestershire Mental Health‘ option at the bottom of the page for information on services local to you.

Mind You is South Gloucestershire’s mental health and wellbeing hub for children and young people. There is loads of information and support available from anxiety to dealing with emotions and feelings as well as sleep and relaxation.

Education including School Admissions

How do I find information about applying for a school place?

School is free for children aged 4 – 16.

Primary (4-11 years)

You can obtain information on which schools have places still available from the local authority within which the schools are located. 

You will need to check with the local authority whether you should apply directly to the school or to the local authority in which the school is located as this differs from area to area. You can check this by making contact with South Gloucestershire Council Schools Call Centre – 01454 868008 or Email: cis@southglos.gov.uk

Secondary (11-16 years)

To apply for a place at Secondary School you must contact the school directly. Information on how to apply for a place can be found here.

You can find your nearest Secondary School by entering your postcode here.

Skills, Training and Employment including Languages

Where do I access information on learning English or ESOL classes?

ACH offer English functional skills courses, more information can be found here.

Borderlands offer English classes, focusing on basic language and literacy skills. Find out more here.

Bristol Refugee Rights run English classes as well as English conversation clubs, more information here.

City of Bristol also offer ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses for adults, click here for a course overview and more details.

Groundwork run ESOL classes (Mon – Fri) as well as ESOL guided self-study (Wednesday’s in St Paul’s).

Refugee Women of Bristol run ESOL classes that focus on teaching practical language skills that women can use in their daily lives, for example going to the doctors, shopping or applying for jobs.

SGS College offer ESOL for Adults classes throughout the year. More information can be found here.

South Gloucestershire Council offer various community learning classes including ESOL. More details can be found here or via their Facebook page.

Where can I see details of local training and skills groups?

To find out more information on services to support you with training and skills in Bristol and South Gloucestershire please click here to be directed to the Well Aware site.

Where do I go to find work?

To find a local Job Centre please input your postcode on this website here. You can ask for an interpreter for Job Centre appointments if you need one.

Physical Health

How does the NHS work in the UK?

The following document (translated into Ukrainian) helps to explain how the NHS works in the UK.

Where can I find a local GP or Doctor?

Click here to search for a local Doctors surgery. You can also search for a dentist, mental health service or hospital.

How do I find a local pharmacy?

Click here to find a pharmacy local to you by inputting your postcode.

How do I find a local optician?

Click here and input your postcode to find a local optician.

Where can I find information on keeping fit?

Everyone Active is offering Ukrainian refugees the opportunity to sign up for a gym/swim membership free. More details and sign up information here.


Is there any support available for learning to drive on the other side of the road and recognising UK driving signs?

The AA are running the ‘Drive Confident’ Scheme to help support Ukrainian refugees in the UK by offering a free Drive Confident refresher course from AA Driving School and BSM. More information here.

Where do I find information on local transport?

Travel Line South West is a very handy website with details of local bus and train timetables.

Better by Bike has lots of information on cycling routes in and around Bristol and South Gloucestershire. There is also information on getting a bike and cycling centres and training available.

How do I apply for a bus pass?

Details of eligibility and applying for a bus pass can be found here.

Where do I find information about driving in the UK?

The following information is available on the Government website here.

You must have both a full driving licence and in date motor insurance to drive a vehicle on UK roads. 

If you have a full driving licence issued in Ukraine, you may use this licence to drive small vehicles (such as motorcycles, cars, and vehicles up to 3500kgs or with up to 8 passenger seats) for up to a year in the UK. The licence must cover the vehicle being driven and must still be valid. 

To continue to drive after this, you must obtain a provisional driving licence and pass a UK driving test before the 12 months ends. 

Applicants for a provisional driving licence will need to complete a D1 application form available from Post Offices, or from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, and send it together with supporting documentation including proof of identity and proof of lawful residency. If the document(s) you provide is not in English, you will need to provide a translation that has been issued in the UK and signed by an official translator belonging to the Institute of Linguists or the Institute of Translation & Interpreting. A translator who is employed by a recognised Translation company or a member of the Association of Translation Companies

If you took your driving test in a country other than Ukraine, different rules may apply

Other helpful information…

Where can I access more helpful information?

Citizens Advice offers information and advice on various different topics such as benefits, housing and work.

For any other urgent enquiries please get in contact with us by emailing us at: resettlement@thecareforum.org.uk

We are working in partnership with: