Closing date: July 24, 2022
Hours: 37 hours per week
Job Type: Permanent
How you’ll make a difference
We see our communities as being key to unlocking the potential of South Gloucestershire. As Service Director for Community Development, you will be instrumental in enabling transformational change in the Council’s approach to prevention, reducing the demands placed on council services through promoting a prevention first approach and enabling independence which impact on the quality of life for residents.
What will you be doing?
- As a change leader, both within and beyond the council you will work to build on our community engagement, conversation and insight capacity and capability. This will enable the societal and behavioural change needed to improve service provision and self-help within our children, young people, and adult populations.
- To do this, you will be building and shaping a new division in the Council, initially having a small team, who will transfer from other areas of the council. While the direct line management of staff is small, your team will have impact and influence both within and beyond the council.
- Your aim will be to provide strategic capacity as a catalyst to better enable the council to build on the work started in our communities, recognising the need to support the most vulnerable through early help and prevention and then support people to have a good life.
- You will ensure equality, inclusion and diversity is embedded in the council’s service offerings to residents and that the voice and needs of residents drives future development of service provision. To achieve this, you will embed community conversation strategies and principles in all teams across the council and within external partners.
- Working outwardly, you will lead engagement with partner organisation, working in a joined, co-produced approach to embed prevention principles, such as population heath and inequalities. You will also work to strengthen links and productive relationships with key partners in local place, such as Town and Parish Councils.
What we need from you
You don’t necessarily have to have worked for Local Government before to be the right person for this role. You might be working at a senior level in a voluntary sector organisation, the NHS or in community development for example.
- We are looking for you to be a strategic thinker, who is able to drive change and can face challenges with creative solutions.
- You will have the impact and influencing skills to be comfortable working in a new division with few precedents to follow and where there is significant freedom to transform community relationships through strategic development.
- You will also have authoritative knowledge and technical expertise in community development with an overall functional and business understanding needed to position the function across the organisation. As well as proven experience of strategic development, with an understanding of the influences and interconnectivities of a division such as this.
- You must also have proven experience of delivering strategic policy direction and leadership, operational management, and financial control. As well as substantial level of strategic leadership experience, providing depth and breadth of knowledge to act with credibility at this level both internally and externally.
How to apply:
Please complete the application form in full, which can be downloaded from our website https://apply.careers.southglos.gov.uk/vacancies/2698/service-director–community-development.html, in the final box please provide your covering letter, which must include your motivation for applying.
Please note, we will not see your CV, this is only provided to help you create part of your application form.
Interviews: Interviews will be held on Monday 1st August at our Council Office, Badminton Road, Yate and successful candidates will then need to attend a members panel interview on Tuesday 2nd August.
For more information, or an informal, confidential discussion please contact Anne Clarke – Director of Adult Social Care and Housing – firstname.lastname@example.org