The Department of Health has confirmed that it will grant CQC the power to be able to rate independent healthcare providers, including cosmetic surgery, substance misuse and termination of pregnancy clinics for the first time so that people have clear and accessible information about even more of their care services.
CQC already rates NHS and independent hospitals, general practices and adult social care services as Outstanding, Good, Requires Improvement and Inadequate.
The Department of Health has published the response to its consultation last year on ‘expanding CQC ratings to include independent healthcare providers.’ The response details the decision to give CQC the power to award ratings as a result of inspections of the following services:
- cosmetic surgery services (some types)
- independent ambulance services
- independent dialysis services
- refractive eye surgery services
- substance misuse services
- termination of pregnancy services