On the 29th of April, the Domestic Abuse Act 2021 was enacted and new duties came into force, with councils required to:
- Appoint a multi-agency Domestic Abuse Local Partnership Board which it will consult as it performs certain specified functions.
- Assess the need for accommodation-based domestic abuse support in their area for all victims or their children, including those who come from outside the area.
- Develop and publish a strategy for the provision of such support to cover their locality, having regard to the needs assessment.
- Give effect to the strategy (through commissioning / de-commissioning decisions) including the provision of safe accommodation.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the strategy, reviewing every three years.
This draft Domestic Abuse Strategy outlines how they will meet the challenges posed by domestic abuse in South Gloucestershire. It includes South Gloucestershire Council’s strategic response to the statutory duties imposed by the Domestic Abuse Act 2021 but includes much more than that. As well as their support for victims it also includes how they will work to reduce the level and harm caused by domestic violence and abuse within South Gloucestershire. They are seeking your views to help inform the South Gloucestershire Domestic Abuse Strategy 2022 – 2024. Please help them understand if they are on the right track by completing this questionnaire.
You don’t need to have experienced domestic violence or abuse to take part and they are seeking the views of residents as well as professionals supporting those affected by domestic abuse.
- Download the draft strategy here
- Read the Initial Equalities Impact Assessment here
- Complete the online survey here
- Download a copy of the survey to print, fill out and post to them. You can also request paper copies of the survey and consultation documents at any local library and One Stop Shop
- Email: Consultation@southglos.gov.uk
- Telephone: 01454 868009
- Write to:
Freepost Plus RTXL-YHGY-GSYS
South Gloucestershire Council
Corporate Consultation Team
The consultation closes 5 Jan 2022 at 23:59
You can find out more information here.